You may have already circled the date in your diary or calendar, but this year’s Shrove Tuesday takes place on Tuesday the 5th of March and here at Boxclever Press HQ we’ve been thinking about which pancake recipe we’ll be rustling up. With the recent surge in popularity of vegan recipes and plant-based alternatives to popular meals, we’ve decided on a vegan pancake recipe that you and your whole family is sure to love!
If you’re looking to incorporate more plant-based food into your diet or you’re simply looking to make pancakes with a twist for this year’s Pancake Day, this easy vegan recipe from Loving it Vegan is the perfect no-fuss recipe for making light and fluffy banana pancakes.
Who knew egg-free and dairy-free pancakes could be as fluffy and tasty as the originals? We love the added banana as it gives the pancake mix a natural sweetness and a light, spongy texture. It’s also a great way of using up any over-ripe bananas!
(This recipe makes 8)
- 156g of plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar (or use coconut sugar for a healthy alternative)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tbsp coconut oil + more for frying
- 180ml soy milk (or another non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the vegan pancake mix:
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, mix together.
- Mash the banana in a bowl and add the coconut oil and mash together. Add to the mixing bowl with the soy milk and vanilla extract and mix in. Your batter will be fairly thick.
- Heat up a pan with a little coconut oil until hot and then add in some batter for your first pancake, around 1/4 cup of batter at a time. When the pancake starts looking dry along the sides with little bubbles on top, then flip it over until browned on the other side. Keep flipping and pushing down with your spatula until the pancakes are very nicely browned and the inside has had a chance to cook through.
- Serve with your favourite toppings
Deciding which toppings to use is often the best part, so here are a few ideas for the ultimate Pancake Day feast!
- Healthy Toppings – If you’re looking to keep your pancakes healthy, stick to fruit like chopped bananas, strawberries and blueberries. For an added healthy twist drizzle over some vegan yoghurt and sprinkle over seeds.
- Sweet and Sharp – The classic combination of lemon juice and sugar is still a very popular topping and one that will go perfectly with the vegan banana pancakes. To make this combo even more exciting, try combining lemon juice with coconut sugar, a healthier sweetener alternative.
- Banana, Maple Syrup and Nuts – Use pecan nuts and walnuts to add some protein and crunch to your pancakes. Combine with sliced banana and the classic maple syrup to really bring together this tasty topping.